School of Rock – Day 5 – Rhythm Basics

School of Rock – Day 5 – Rhythm Basics

SUMMARY

In short, today was awesome!

CLASSROOM

How Rhythm Works

• All rhythm has a beat ( also called pulse )
  • The speed of the beat is called tempo
  • Implicit pulses are subtle and harder to hear, these ads serenity and tranquility to the music
  • Subdivision is when you start dividing the beat into parts
  • dividing the beats into different tempos adds more to the rhythm
  • accents are the important beats that are more emphasized

LAB

The activity was alright. I found that a lot of the stuff from the first video helped me out in the second part.

PRACTICE ROOM

The activity was actually not as boring as I thought. I played the Stevie Wonder beat Superstition. It wasn’t too hard but it did take a little bit of time to get the hang of it.

A Side Note

OUTSIDE / JOURNAL / IDEAS

Image Metric levels from the Wikimedia Commons

I went for a walk to think for a little bit. I found that I approximately walk at a pace of 60 steps a minute.  Some of my favorite songs are in the tempo range of 80 to 120 beats per minute and that’s because I listen to a lot of R&B. When I make music I stick in the 90 to 110 range because I like modern-day hip hop, I don’t really know what to really call it because it’s not like any previous rap or hip hop. The style I go for is like that of Tyler the Creator, Lil Dicky, and Young Gravy.

The question I got for this project was, “Write a brief reflection on your mental meanderings.” I don’t really know what that means because meanderings means, “following a winding course” so what I think it means is to explain your ways of thinking when keeping a schedule. For me, I just think about, “ok I have this ‘X’ amount of stuff to do at a ‘Y’ amount of quality, let’s see how fast we can get it done right to get ‘Z’. I also force myself to feel like if I don’t do it or I don’t get it done then I won’t feel fulfilled and it makes life harder. If I don’t do what I need to do I can’t be happy, or sleep well or eat.

STUDIO

Funklet is back!  This time in the studio. Pick a drummer, like Clyde Stubblefield. Play around with their a beat with Funklet’s editing options. Play a rhythmic guitar strumming pattern over the beat. Practice playing in time with the beat. Try muting the strings and keeping tempo, chucka-chucka style. Watch this chucka-chucka tutorial, to better understand the technique.

CONTROL ROOM

WHAT I LEARNED and PROBLEMS I SOLVED

Today was awesome. Previously when I made beats I knew nothing about rhythm and it was just me messing around until I found something that sounded good. Now I have an endless amount of templates for making beats in future songs. I also know the basics of making a good beat.

Published inUncategorized

Be First to Comment